Monday, 27 September 2010

Few weeks no see

Warning - photo heavy post!

These are a selection of pics from my freezing cold hols. They are in no paricular order as I just couldn't be bothered to keep track of what order blogger upoaded them in to...however, after having a quick glance, I think they're mostly just working backwards - Sat, Fri, Thurs...etc...

Anyhoo, on with the show!

First up, remember how I was oddly excited when I found out my phone had a decent panoramic function? No? Never mind. This scene is the reason why. Yay.



Though clearly some sort of exposure or what-have-you setting would have helped this one out...it looks a bit like one of those old Panoramic movies (that they showed on the giant curved screen?). They show them on TCM but haven't 'fixed' them so the whole shot is clearly 3 seperate colours/screens. I kind of like it...


My first decent-ish shadow pic. Though I'm not sure why dad's head is that shape. Maybe he's scratching his nose...

Ok, this was possibly the most expensive gardens (in the most expensive garden center - £800 for a rusty flying duck ornament?!?!?) in the country but they had the best 'greenhouse' I've ever been in. In fact I want one when I grow up(!). It was like a movie set - it even had an aviary in.

This was the (I'm fairly certain) Kestral that dad saw once me and mum had left. He'd seen a flippin' Perigrin (sp) Falcon fly right past him the day before. Sigh.

And this is Freckles. He stopped by every morning.

Oh look, we're back at the garden place - so they're more mixed than I thought...

Now, this one was a stroke of luck. Being in the wheelchair (boo) I see things others don't. I was very impressed with the mushroom as it wasn't damaged or anything so I asked dad to stop for a second. Now, he's a man that likes to keep moving so you can't stop for long. One shot. That's all I'll risk! So I set my point and shoot to macro, put it on the floor, sent of a little wish and pressed. It wasn't until we got home I found that it actually took. Huh. And you know if I'd had the use of my legs that day and was able to hang around for a while, actually get down on the floor to check the focal point, taken 4 or 5 shots not one of them would have turned out as well as this one. Score one for wishing.

My mum's a touch daft. Is there anything else needed to say?...

Back in the wonderful greenhouse.

Where are we now?...oh yeah, back up the top where we started...Saturday!! Sigh...okay, umm...here's the view of what I believe is referred to as Pagham Harbour on the map but I think I need to look up the definition of harbour as it ain't like any Harbour I've seen in my life. Shouldn't they have boats in or something? There is no physical way a boat could ever get in there. Not without a crane anyway...

Aaand it's wednesday. Here's ma n pa trying to skim stones. Actually I think mum's given up at this pont but dad's still perservering bless.

Now it's earlier on wednesday and we're at the wetlands! Say hello to this handsome young man.

And here's his father. I swear I didn't set this picture up!

Know how I said you notice the oddest things when you're in the (boo) wheelchair? Check out these feet!! All the years I've been around these birds and I've never noticed these feet. Anyone care to guess who they belong to?

And we're back on the beach. I'll have to ask mum which one, I can't remember...

Before dad decided to skim stones he wanted to see if he could throw as far as mum. He did very well. I think I managed about 2ft. I'm not built for throwing. Or catching. Or hitting...running...cimbing....

I call this Windswept. Dad wants them destroyed. We convinced him to keep them as you can't see his face. Ha.

Ooh, okay, now it's Tuesday. We stopped in Bosham as mum saw this art place advertised. Not exactly what she expected but there was a beautiful jewellery store that we went back to before we left and I bought a new ring...yeah, anyway, here's an apple tree with possibly the most apples we'd ever seen on one tree.

Here's the harbour (see how there are boats? Now that's a harbour...). I was very windswept as I took this and am amazed it came out even remotely in focus. See those brick walls? That's where the tide comes in. Apparently it goes all up the road too - the houses leading off it had little cement 'mounds' instead of front gates.

Earlier on Tuesday we went to Chichester Cathedral. We came here last time but it was a lovely day in June so was kind of packed. This time we had a look round the whole Cathedral. It's really stunning.

I wish this photo could help you judge the scale of this thing. It was immense! I wish you could see the whole organ instead of just the pipes. I'd love to here it play, I bet it's spectacular.

Beautiful, beautiful window.

There was also some beautiful music playing as we walked around. Trombone, trumpet and piano. I'm not particulalry one way or another when it comes to religion but the whole this was a very moving experience.
Argh! I found it! It was hiding! Sorry - I've typed this up twice now but first time it went missing and I've just found it the second time...*does a little dance* aaand breathe....I didn't want to type it up again. My photos aren't that great but it was starting to become a mission!
*fingers crossed for third time lucky!!!!!*

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Well done for getting the post to work Samm.
Great selection of photos good to see you in some too.
Your Mum and Dad look like they had fun on the beach!
XXXX

Minty Magic said...

Great photos Samm. Looks like you had a lovely time.

knitkath said...

Oooh, lots to scrap there Samm! Some lovely photos to remind you of the time away!

Karen said...

Great selection of photos Samm, it looks as though you all had a fabby time :)