Friday, 1 June 2012

Crafty Magpies Sketch Challenge

Okay, here's my sketch! You may recognise it as I lifted this layout, from Nicole Samuels http://nicolesamuels.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/boardwalk-giveaway/, last August.
You can see how I adapted it to fit my larger photo instead of a smaller one plus 3 little ones to the right. (by a wonderful coincidence it also works for this weeks UKS challenge - photo of friends, embellishment cluster, metal, pp as background paper and one of the techniques, I did embossing...I did make it this week btw!...)

Anyhoo, back to my sketch.
*My photo is 9x6, so I adhered it to the paper and extended it, with a light pencil line, by 4" and 1" to make it a 10x10 square.
* For the chevrons I used four different sheets of paper and cut one 1/2 inch strip from each (I think I ended up using 2 strips from each pp).
*This is where the photos I added at the bottom will, hopefully, come in handy!! First, divide the 4x10 'box' above the photo into 3 (roughly 3 1/4") and then take a strip of pp and start working out what angle you would like your chevron to be. When you've decided draw a light pencil line on the strip where the edge of the 'box' is, so you know where the angle is (hopefully you can see this!). Once snipped, add glue and stick down.
I find it's easier to stick each piece as you go as it can get a bit confusing otherwise!
*Just carry on following the above method to fill the first box and then the second and third. It's a lot easier to fill each box rather than do one strip across all three, as you have something to line it up against. Oh, and I also found it a bit easier if I left a slight gap between each strip.
* once the chevron is complete I added a 1x6 strip of PP next to the photo, then a 12 inch strip of punched glitter paper (ribbon or twine works well too!) to overlap the bottom of the chevron as mine always looks a bit rough lol. Then add the title, an embellishment cluster, journalling and some pretty butterflies...or, you know, whatever you like lol
Ok, I think that's it. Oh wow I hope it made sense! I really hope you all try the paper piecing for the chevrons, but I'll understand if you don't...eventually...lol

No comments: