Wednesday, 31 August 2011

So I've come to a conclusion

I'm not doing a Doc 2012. Well, at least not in the style that I've done for the past 2 years (2 focal events and a multi pocket page with smaller pics in). I've seen some wonderful albums that others have made but I think it's a style that suits a life of activity. A life that's lived. Not that I'm not alive of course (creepy), but I don't leave the house very often and several of my months are a bit lacking in the photo/focal page department. For example - I had a focal page on the runner beans that ideally should have been a little photo but I had *nothing* for that month. And now there's this month - a freakishly busy one for me. So many things that I can't decide what should go on focal pages - I want them all to be focal pages!

There's the dinner we had for Mum's birthday (check out the size of that burger! It was huuuge!)

An afternoon with 3 gorgeous little giggly creatures


A trip to a farm to pick beans (yes, I'm aware the pictures are of apple trees. Turns out apple trees photograph better than bean plants.)

The tale of the fish ninja. (which leads to a painful tale of discovery that the fish shop batter has paprika in. Oh pepper allergy how I hate you with a passion)

A lion hunt. Well, two lion hunts. We managed the upper gardens at the beginning of the month and lower gardens on Monday. As I was in my mob. scooter we made it up to St Peters Church to check out my favourite one - 'Frankenlion' (Mary Shelley is buried there, if you're wondering about the name). Oh, and FYI I *hate* crossing roads in that bloody scooter. You need speed to get up the curbs but if the pavements aren't very deep you'll hit the wall/fence/shop on the other side. And if there's someone else crossing too?! Argh! How I haven't hit anyone yet astounds me.

Can't forget this - here's what I took on Monday and next is how it looked 2 weeks ago -

Flash floods! (photo taken from the Daily Mail website). I'm annoyed as I could have sworn I'd been in the right spot to take an after pic but oh well, it's not too far off...

Another bean farm shot. Ahh the joy of photo editing...

And of course the dreadful tragedy of the loss of Red Arrow pilot Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging, Red 4. (The lion outside the town hall where people have left tributes. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I saw it.) The crash happened not far from here. I feel I should document the absolute shock that was felt. Would that be odd? It feels odder to not mention, in an album that documents events of my year, something that shocked me (and many others) so much.
And of course there are my photos from the air festival. I didn't go, but I saw a lot of planes fly over the garden while mum and dad were down there.
Also, another one that doesn't directly affect me but I feel it should be mentioned, the riots. Again how could you have a document of the year that didn't mention it?

Wow I've rambled on a bit in this one. Did you like my re-cap of my august?!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that next year I'll definitely just be doing a regular album to document the year. That way I don't have to worry about focal pages, or multi pocket pages that are only full of photos from the garden. I'll finish this one though - I've kept up with it far better than last year. (I still haven't finished last years!!!!!)

2 comments:

Shirley said...

You are doing brilliantly this year Samm. :-)
Lovely selection of photos.

Karen said...

WOW Samm lots of fab photos and great LO's on your blog since I last had a chance to have a peep, well done they are all lovely :)